enton's 'Jardin Botanique Exotique'
The last train station in Mediterranean France before the Italian border is Menton Garavan. A few minutes walk from the station, and situated in the mildest climatic zone anywhere in France, is the Jardin Botanique Exotique Val Rahmeh - an offshoot of the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle de Paris.
In November 2006, I had time for only a brief visit, but found a considerable number of interesting citrus varieties, not all labelled. Unfortunately, at that time I didn't have a list of varieties. I now have one, provided by the French Natural History Museum, which I have reproduced below with my English translations of the common names. So in February 2007 I had a good excuse for a return visit to take some more photos!
page created 30th November 2006
'Star Ruby' A very nice red-blushed grapefruit on a startlingly dark-green tree.
Citrus medica 'sarcodactylis' or Buddha's Hand Citron
Willow Leaf Bitter Orange
Myrtle Leaf Bitter Orange
Buddha's Hand Citron
Grapefruit 'Star Ruby'
Bears' Seedless Lime
1. Poncirus X C. paradisi Hort.
2. Citrus aurantiifolia Sw.
3. Citrus aurantium L.
4. Citrus aurantium ssp. amara
5. Citrus aurantium L. var. myrtifolia
6 . Citrus bergamia Wight et Arn.
7. Citrus hystrix DC.
8. Citrus limon (L.) Burn.f.
9. Citrus limon (L.) Burn.f.
10. Citrus limon (L.) Burn.f.
11. Citrus limon (L.) Burn.f.
12. Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr.
13. Citrus medica L.
14. Citrus medica L. 'Sarcodactylis'
15. Citrus nobilis Lour. 16. Citrus nobilis Lour.
17. Citrus paradisi Macfad 18. Citrus paradisi Macfad. 19. Citrus pyriformis Hassk
20. Citrus reticulata Bl.
21. Citrus reticulata Bl.
22. Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck 23. Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck
24. Fortunella margarita Swingle
A cluster of lemons variety 'Menton'.
The location map showed a sweet lemon, but the peel smelled just like a normal lemon. However, the flesh was sweet, acidless and very pleasant!
An ancient Nagami Kumquat tree, covered in ripe fruits.
major update 11th February 2007
Two different citron trees, the top fruit is 'Florence'
Chinnoto, or Myrtle Leafed Bitter Orange
Not citrus, but a waterfall of Mediterranean mimosa!
Thornless Thai Lime
Australian Round Lime
CITRUS in and around MENTON
SEE THESE OTHER PAGES
Fete du Citron pavilion